Friday, August 6, 2010

If only I'd known

Dear Jen and Tom,

My husband and I just had our honeymoon in Los Cabos, Mexico at the beautiful Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort and Spa. The trip was absolutely wonderful and exactly what we wanted, a quiet and relaxing retreat where we could both pamper ourselves and each other. The Pacifica is the first and only wellness-oriented resort exclusively for adults in Los Cabos and we were really able to escape into utter tranquility and relaxation. The entire ambience of the resort made us feel so relaxed and made our honeymoon flawless and unforgettable, exactly what we wanted. What was even better was the helpful and attentive staff. Mariana, the front desk receptionist, welcomed us with a warm greeting and offered us something to drink when we checked in because it was pretty hot out, but I'm sure they'd do that even if it wasn't hot out. The heart of our trip was wonderful and we couldn't have asked for more, the horror comes when it was time to go home... I felt like Dorothy clicking her glittery red shoes "there's no place like home."

As a married couple you're supposed to be a team right? What happens when your team member doesn't do his homework and the whole team suffers? That makes for a very unhappy wife and when the wife's unhappy, everyone is unhappy. My husband, Jimmy and I split up the work into planning our honeymoon. I was a bit reluctant at first, considering his lack of attention to detail. I researched Los Cabos and the different resorts and he was in charge of booking the flights. I did my homework and made sure that Pueblo Bonito was the resort for us. My husband's number one concern was saving money. Sure, I kept our budget in mind but didn't want to be so frugal, it was our honeymoon after all. He spent about 20 minutes researching and booking our flight while I spent a good week and a half researching different resorts. He sure put in a lot of time didn't he? Connecting flights were substantially cheaper than non-stop flights and my husband jumped on the savings and booked us for a flight from Seattle to San Francisco to Los Cabos. It never occurred to him how much of a hassle connections could be and by the time he told me, it was too late to change our flight. Booking a non-stop flight would have saved us time and trouble and we wouldn't have been stuck at SFO for 9 hours. Maybe my team member should have been a travel agent instead of Jimmy.

Our flights to Los Cabos were fine, granted the layover was a little bit annoying but really it wasn't bad at all, only about an hour and a half and then we were off to Los Cabos. We flew from Seattle Washington and then made a stop in San Francisco. Smooth, easy transition. Our journey home from our heavenly honeymoon, however, was not so smooth. Our flight out of Los Cabos was at 8:55am so we made sure to be at the airport by 6:55am to check in and all that fun stuff. Well we got there and the people at the airline told us that the flight coming into Los Cabos that was going to fly us to SFO was late and in effect was going to make us miss our connecting flight. Our flight in San Francisco was supposed to be at 11:46am and we were supposed to be back home in Seattle by 2:00pm. Turns out all the flights in San Francisco after our 11:46 flight were completely booked until 9:00pm! We had to sit at SFO for 9 hours. We were put on standby for all the flights but had no luck getting on. We both finished our books we brought for the flight. We walked all over the airport, skimmed through magazines, ate and dozed off a few times. This was not the way I wanted to end my heavenly honeymoon. We ended up getting home pretty late and I had work bright and early the next morning so lets just say I was a tiny bit fatigued. Sure, the connecting flights saved us money but cost us quite a headache in the end. If only I'd known.

Sincerely,
Cindy and Jimmy

0 comments:

Post a Comment